Thursday, December 24, 2009

Behold

Christmas Eve. The tree is up, the stockings stuffed, all presents under the tree and accounted for, and we went to a candlelight service at church. Still doesn't feel like Christmas. This year is just different, I guess. I know that on this evening, two time zones away, my family sat by my grandparent's Christmas tree and read a story, or stories. I miss them. This evening at church when I finished singing 'Silent night' and walked off the stage I sat with my girls in the darkened room and just thought about everything that's going on and how lucky I am to have them. Jason put down his bass and joined us as the rest of the congregation left and Dustin kept playing on the keyboard. It was nice to just have that moment of just being together like that. Just us, in the dark, the girls with candles, and the soft music playing. We left to find that the sleet of the day had, as predicted, given way to snow. We're in a blizzard warning, in fact. We were only at church for an hour but by the time we left there were already a couple inches on the ground. Poor Jason had to leave for work not long after we got home. He texted me to let me know he got in safe. I wrapped presents, watched some TV, took a bubble bath, and as the clock displayed midnight, I whispered to myself, "Merry Christmas."

1 comment:

notforthelifeofme said...

We watched It's a Wonderful Life last night. No tree and no book. Have a good and fun day!