Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My shiny wet hiney

German was SO much fun today! We are finished learning new material in the chapter we'd been working on so today was review day before our test on Friday. Instead of the typical rundown we'd usually have, our teacher pulled up the website on the back of our book and brought up some of the fun excercises you can only utilize if you buy a membership to. (between shelling out $100 for the book, $50 for the online workbook and another $50 for the online lab, that's unlikely. Yay for grants and loans!) This picture is from one of the games we did, where you take the square that has the words on it and match it with the picture. If you get it right there was a chiming congratulatory noise. If you got it wrong, it would go, "BOI-oi-oi-oiiiing!" And snap back into place. We got so into it that when the teacher was moving the mouse around saying, "Okay, which do you think it is?" We were all screaming out, "NEIN, NEIN, NEIN, JA, JA!!!!" until she'd pick the right one. She totally dragged it out on purpose just to get a rise out of us. (I would have. I so would have.) Any time she purposefully made the incorrect match and it would go, "BOI-oi-oi-oiiiiing!" We'd groan collectively, and likewise cheered correctly when the chimey noise came wafting out of the speakers. We are a generation of absolute dorks and I love it.

P.S.-the word in the background on the screen is one of my very favorite German words. It's right up there with 'schadenfreude.' No, I won't define the terms, look them up for yourself! Cultural enrichment is a beautiful thing.

4 comments:

David said...

Is it German for "My shiney wet hiney"? Or did you just title your post that to throw everyone off?

sugarbumkin said...

David, here's the secret code to understanding (maybe) my blog subject lines:

I can't just write a 'daily did it' list and call it a blog, so I tend to focus on a few events, unless there's an overall reason things fit together just so. Therefore, I have a lot that happens during the course of the day that I didn't write about but would like to acknowledge. Nine times out of ten, my subject line refers to another event that happened during the course of the day, something somebody said, or is an inside joke that at least one of my readers will get a laugh at.

The other ten percent of the time it's a snippet of a song lyric.

Now that you know, I bet you can tell which is which, and sooner or later, you'll get one of those inside joke references. :-)

BugChelle said...

I do give the Germans one thing... they make simple things so very long in their language.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah. They're big (HUGE) on literal, compound words. Like, seriously. Like, the word for drum is two words smashed together to make one word that, literally translated, means 'hit thing.' For extra fun, the word for airplane means 'fly thing.' :-D