Saturday, June 20, 2009

Narnia Business!

For Jason's birthday, my dad had bought tickets to the Eric Clapton concert in Omaha. (Ohhhh, no wonder her parents are visiting this particular weekend!) Tonight was THE night, so the boys took eager leave of us for the bulk of the day. Can you say 'Epic girl's night out?' That's right you can! We started by enjoying coffee and a friendly game of Yahtzee at my favorite coffeeshop in the Crossroads district. Leigha won, Bri dropped out and read The Three Little Pigs. That's hardcore. We then proceeded to drive the party wagon over to Union Station. Apparently there's a Narnia exhibition there at the moment. I didn't know! Did you? Jerk, I wouldn't hold out on you like that! It was great. We started in 'London' then proceeded to the attic and through the wardrobe into the (movie) snow of Narnia. There were props from the movie that you could see up close (so much detail! The weaponary was especially impressive.) and they had a bunch of interactive exhibits. We ended the tour in the gift shop (totally my favorite part of the books AND movies) where we bought and split a piece of Turkish Delight. Not bad, that. We decided to get some dinner at that point so we went to Crown Center and ate at Fritz's, the restaurant that delivers your food by train. My mom chased the train around the dining room to get a picture of it carrying a tray. I said, "If Lynette was here right now she'd be SO embarrassed." My mom paused and said, "Probably." (You would have melted under the table, Lynette.) After that we walked around a bit in Crown Center. While we were on the top level I saw a lady wearing a gold outfit outside near the fountains. She was doing some incredible tricks with hula hoops on a raised platform. We watched her for a while before deciding to go out and see what was going on. Apparently there's a 'Chalk Walk' at Crown Center this weekend. A bunch of sidewalk chalk artists came together and made the most beautiful drawings on the bricks that make the walkway near the fountains. It had rained earlier, but they had tarps handy for just such an occasion. There were pieces of chalk lying on the ground with a drawn encouragement to 'take one!' So we did. Leigha and I each made our meager (in the face of brilliance) contributions on the ground. I signed mine. Dare you to find it! It was getting late at that point so we headed back to the house, put the kids to bed, and my mom and I watched 'Get Smart' while eating peanuts. Aw yeah!

2 comments:

notforthelifeofme said...

Leigha told me about the exhibit, and mom told her to tell me that it would still be up when I come out, so you're seeing it again!

And you're right. I'm embarrassed reading about that episode! Oh mom . . .

Unknown said...

Hee hee, I figured that would be the case. Can't wait to see it again! :-D