Friday, June 26, 2009

Mile One...

Inspired by Leigha's recent track success and my own past as a long distance runner, I decided to take Leigha to the track at a local high school tonight after dinner. Running on a treadmill and running out in the actual world are two very different things and climate control has little to do with it. I doubt anyone knows why for sure. My theory is that on a track you have to pace yourself instead of relying on a digital screen to do it for you. You push yourself harder when you say, "I'm running for [x distance here]!" As opposed to "I'm running for [x time here]!" Not that anything's wrong with treadmills, on the contrary, I used to easily knock out a good fourty five minutes plus on one when we had our Y memberships. I'm just saying you're more determined to get to the finish line a little faster when it's a tangent, visible thing rather than time, which you can't hurry, slow down, or reverse, much as humans may want to or try to. Either way you slice it, I took Leigha to the track, determined to run at least one mile. I ran one mile. Yeah, baby! It wasn't so bad at all, but when that little firecracker of mine took off my competitive nature took control of my inner wheel and I sped up. It wasn't until nearly two laps in that I realized I was going to have a serious asthma attack if I didn't MAJORLY cool it. (Oh yeah, sports induced asthma is part of the reason I stopped track and cross country in the first place! Perhaps I should have been more careful? Nahhhh.....) so I did. I still finished with a respectable time (roughly eight minutes) for a gal who hasn't run a mile on a track in about ten years. Oh, again, it wasn't so bad at all, but I figured I'd ham up the drama for the 'after' picture. It was seriously taken about 20 minutes after I got home. Don't I look like I'm miserable? Awesome!

On an unrelated yet still relevant note, happy birthday, Brianna! Today is her actual birthdate. She is five. God help us all. We called her today and after two minutes on the phone the little stinker said, "I'm done talking on the phone." And left. Punk kids these days.......

4 comments:

JMH85 said...

Ewwww you're one of those weird people who runs for fun. But I still love you!!

Spark*Life said...

OMG You ran? I can't do that....well, after all the workouts in Germany..maybe. But probably not. I have serious exercise induced ashtma. In high school after one lap when doing the mile test the teacher told me to go sit down because either that, or I was going pass out. Oops. So really. You go girl!!!

notforthelifeofme said...

Bri talked to me for about 5 minutes before saying "I need to give the phone to Grandma now." I win! ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

And Lynette, Leigha actually is the winner. We called back later because she hadn't gotten a chance the first time around and they talked for about 10 minutes before the reception got lost. Of course, their conversation was incredibly odd, but I guess it's because they have their own little form of communication.