Saturday, January 15, 2011

At least I have a good story now.

Holy carp....okay, so I got up and went to the school at 6am today to begin the neverending Godspell rehearsal/performance. My day consisted of frantically working with the rest of the cast to load the set, costumes, makeup, and everything (EVERYTHING) that goes into making a show happen, and moving it from one theater to another. In one day, we rebuilt the set, refocused the lights, moved the actors to new dressing rooms, mended costumes, set up a makeup room, ran a music rehearsal, then performed the show. *Phew!* My family got to come see it, and Austin was gracious enough to take this picture. And then things got really crazy. We are practicing this heinous process for taking the show to the festival this week in Iowa, so immediately following the performance, we started breaking down the set with the purpose of putting it onto trucks so we can repeat the process Thursday, this time for an audience of 2600 strangers. I began my portion of strike by dumping a ton of costumes into the laundry. Considering how tired I was, it amazes me that I managed to get it there at all...but not too long after I got a rude awakening when I found out that one of the other girls had chosen tonight as the night she just had to dye her shirt green...guess I should have checked the washer first. Whoops. The good news is she was already through the rinsing process and it had been maybe two minutes with the costumes in the washer, so there was no harm done. Barely. I fixed it and restarted the laundry process, then went downstairs to get a drink of water. On the way I saw a friend and decided to tell them about my brilliance, when out of nowhere *WHAP* I got beaned across the temple with the corner of a 2x4. Again, the guy who plays Jesus is a paramedic, so he took me outside (along with a small crowd of concerned friends) to get some snow to put in a bag and hold against the side of my head for the swelling to go down. While we were outside the doors locked automatically (at 11pm when the campus closes) and we were trapped outside, most of us without our coats. After we were let back inside I was examined, given a prognosis of 'Well, you're gonna live." and scuttled back to our jobs, eager to complete the process. When the set was finally broken down and the costumes and makeup and lights all ready to load onto the trucks, we hit a snag. One of the trucks broke down. Are you kidding???? So we ended up sitting around until they finally said, "Okay, it's one am. You guys are cleared to go, we will finish load in tomorrow before we leave." *sigh* So we headed out to our cars, eager for some sleep after a grueling 19 hours at the theater. I got into my car and turned it on...just in time to see the truck (now running fine) pull up. Everyone was already gone, so I watched the driver back it onto the dock and jump into his car and leave, but oh man. What a finishing touch on a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How's yer head? CB