Saturday, August 21, 2010

Get a head

As an acting student, you read a LOT of scripts. In my acting 2 course, we have to read certain plays off a list and keep a journal of them. There are 10 with an option to read up to 5 more for extra credit, all due at the end of the semester. A lot of my friends from school took acting 2 last semester and one thing I clearly remember is how EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM procrastinated, resulting in massive Facebook status updates detailing the awful feeling of catching up on a semester's work at the last minute. Determined that this will not be me, I am getting ahead of the game. My first class session was last Thursday, my next will be Tuesday. I have already finished one script and one play journal entry, and started a new script today, reading between cleaning the house and music practice. Everyone wonders how I find the balance in my life, how I do all the things I do...with college, it's simple. I make sure I'm taking classes I find interesting and enjoyable wherever I can so that it doesn't feel like a burden, but a joy. That's why I chose to major in theater, knowing job options in that particular field are slim. But as I keep saying, "Hey, as long as I have a degree I don't care." And it's true. I don't ever want to be chained to a desk all day anyhow, so why try for a degree that gives you every opportunity for misery? Some people have those kind of jobs and enjoy them very much. I applaud those of you who fit into that category. I don't. This is what works for me.

No comments: