Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ashes to ashes

Austin's mom is in town and she wanted us to meet, so she invited me as well as Chad to come to lunch at Oklahoma Joe's. When we got there the line was supremely long so we decided to take our hard-earned BBQ back to the casa and enjoy each other's company without yelling over the chatter of other diners. Her mom is awesome and we all had a fantastic time. As I was leaving, Austin gave me a ginger ale because it's disgustingly hot out. I accidentally dropped it on the pavement on the way to the car, so to prevent dropping it again with all I had to carry, I put it in my purse. When I picked my purse up again there was a dull POP! and my armpit felt wet and sticky. "Augh!" The ginger ale had exploded in my purse! Almost everything is fine...but this is the last picture my camera will ever take. Thank goodness the memory card was unharmed! Here's the epitaph I wrote for my camera on Facebook:

That camera has been with me through many adventures. It went to Europe, Alaska, both coasts this summer, New York and Canada. It has happily followed me to at least six improv festivals, my epic week in Chicago, our first house, and Brianna's first day of kindergarten. It has been more faithful to me than many friends, and I use it to update my daily photo blog. I've had it for about 2 years now and it was a display model that cost a mere $100.

Today I was given a ginger ale and dropped it on the sidewalk, so I put it in my purse so as not to have to carry and potentially drop it again...that untrustworthy ginger ale exploded in my purse and killed my camera. What a way to go.

3 comments:

David said...

I have never trusted ginger ale.

But that's mostly because I always like the punch fruit drinks it went in better without it.

I can just say now that: I knew I had a good reason not to trust it.

Gypc said...

Had I but known.

I got your text, worried, but figured I'd follow-up with you soon. Life has been continuously crazy for us both so I am just now reading this.

I am SO sorry about the untimely demise of your camera and the effect of a ginger-splosion on the other contents of your purse.

sugarbumkin said...

Ginger-splosion. The phrase that just made my day. :-D