Saturday, October 13, 2007

Stunned isn't the word for it....

Yesterday was so bizarre. After that last posting Leigha reminded me that it was homecoming. So we walked across town (yeah, like I was going to fight THAT traffic...) to the school, I dropped her off with her classmates who were walking in the parade, then Bri and I sat down along main street to enjoy the parade. We got lots and lots of candy and she really enjoyed herself. After locating Leigha in the ensuing chaos I came home, made dinner, then got ready to go to the theater. I was quite nervous but I actually had found that delicate balance of caffeine and cold and flu medicine, so I was feeling great. I turned on my iPod and blasted my bounciest, most energetic music. All was going swimmingly until I hit I-35. I got into the left lane to exit on Southwest Trafficway and into Westport, when suddenly there was an ominous "t-CHUNK!" My RPM's went up and my spedometer dropped at an alarming rate until my car was completely immobile, halfway in a lane on the exit ramp! Ahhhhh!!! It was 9:12 pm and my show began at 10. I called Jason in hysterics, and he was elbow deep in the tub with Brianna, who had just gotten conditioner in her hair. He said, "I'm on my way." Just then a cop pulled up behind me. Like any good cop he behaved like some kind of freaky automaton, completely unmoved by the fact that there was a human being in trouble. He called a tow truck then went back to doing whatever it is cops do with those computer screens in their cars. I kept calling John and Julie and not getting ahold of them (didn't surprise me, I hadn't intended to take my phone in the theater either.) I called Jason and told him to call the Westport Coffeehouse and get a message to John. Meanwhile at the theater, everyone is watching the clock. It's 9:30 and I'm not there, they've begun to realize something is up. Even Keith who I barely know knows something is wrong. "She's NEVER late, she's always early for fight club!" They begin warmups without me, much to Cristil's dismay. "I can't warmup without Jessica, we always have the same energy level!" (I was flattered when I heard that.) The message somehow trickles around that I'm having car trouble, and John tells everyone that I won't be coming and they'll have to go on without me. "The show must go on" is not an exaggeration, people. Back to the highway. Jason pulls up behind me just as the tow truck backs up in front of me. It's 9:45. I tell Jason we need to sort this out so I can get to the theater. He says, "Honey, I don't think you're gonna make it." I said, "I have to try! There's still a chance!" (melodramatic much?) he's sorting things out with the tow truck driver and the cop, while on the phone with our roadside assistance plan, who is taking absolutely forever to take care of anything. I'm watching the clock obsessively, it's 9:53 when I finally begin to think this ain't gonna happen. I started crying, careful to dab my eyes because I still haven't given up just yet and I don't want my mascara running. The cop gets impatient and calls City Tow (very very expensive!) So Jason finally says what I've been wanting him to say all along. "Just tow it, we'll figure it out later." The van is loaded up on the back of the truck and Jason gets in the car, Westport Coffeehouse bound. It's 9:54 when we start driving. We sped (just a little) down Southwest Trafficway to Mill Rd. Jason actually ran a red light and squealed into the parking lot. I tucked and rolled onto the sidewalk and dashed through the coffeehouse. As I was rounding the corner, I saw Cristil. Her eyes lit up and she said, "you're here!!!" It was 9:58. *whew!* I bolted down the stairs and hear "Hey! You made it!" It was Keith. I said, "Yeah, barely!" and hi-fived him. He said, "go backstage, hurry!" I ran back behind the curtain and down the hall. I saw Julie first, and turned into the room. Everyone was surprised to see me and at that point I was so relieved to be there that I started babbling and shaking. I heard a couple of "You don't HAVE to perform" 's and I said, "Oh, yes I do. I went through too much to get here not to." Everyone was expressing concern for me and I said, "I need a hug!" All the girls came over and group hugged me. Denise said, "Oh, baby you're shaking!" I couldn't help it. John said, "Okay, get it together, we have a show to do." We did a couple quick quick warmups, then Ed came and said "It's time!" He introduced us and we went onstage. The show itself was a bit of a blur, I wasn't completely in the game until the first couple scenes had gone by. At one point my character yelled at her husband (played by Cristil) and she told me later that she had been afraid I was going to lose it onstage, that my eyes were red rimmed and there were tears forming. I was completely oblivious to that, and the funny thing is I didn't even feel it! I was too "in the moment" by that point to think of anything but my character, which is how it should be. We left the stage to applause, then sat down to enjoy the groups "Poke" and "revolver." (revolver doesn't capitalize the r, so that's grammatically correct.) They were fantastic and I had a great time. After the show I noticed Jen from Hype 7 was there, and we talked for a bit, then I went with the Imps to Jerusalem Cafe. (No, I didn't pick it, it's just a really great restaurant. I'm really thrilled someone suggested it though, I love it!) We all talked, laughed and smoked a hookah (oh chill out, it's herbs and legal ones at that) which was something I've never done before. I didn't find it an unpleasant experience, but I wouldn't replicate it often. Very strange, but it was nice. Cristil and her fiance' (Dusty? Crap, I never remember names!) were kind enough to drive me home, and I climbed gratefully into my bed.

Where is my car? I have no clue. What's wrong with it? Probably the transmission went out. How am I going to get around? I really don't know! To be honest, I'm not worried about it and I know it'll all work out. All the events from yesterday were so surreal that I'm just in shock and disbelief right now. I'm so glad I got to the theater on time, though. I needed that.

No comments: