Friday, November 16, 2007

Pi-youch!!!!

Jennifer used to have a Y membership, and she highly recommended pilates to me. "Seriously, Jess, I'm fatter than you and if I can do it, you can do it." She certainly has a way of making a point. :-) So I decided to check out the pi-yo class at the Y. Pi-yo is a combination of pilates and yoga, if you didn't get that. The class was this morning, and it was a very new experience for me. I've never taken a class of the fitness variety since PE and we all know what a lovely experience that was. So I show up in my dumpy gym getup and follow the lead of one of the other girls by grabbing a few mats and spreading them in a plus sign on the floor. Slowly but surely a bunch of skinny-mini people show up, including the instructor, and wouldn't you know it? In a room full of mirrors I just happen to pick the front of the classroom so while everyone is looking at the instructor they'll be able to see me. Greeeaaat. I put on my bravest "onstage" attitude and suck it up, and we begin going through the positions together. First was warmups, then upper body strength, lower body strength, core workout, and cooldown. It was much more entertaining than the eliptical, but I distinctly felt like I was going to quite literally die in at least three separate and distinct moments. I was also excessively wobbly which did not help with the whole, "everyone's looking this way" thing. But I got through it with my arms only giving out on me a couple times and only having to rest a couple times, and I left feeling fantastic. Endorphines rock, btw. I will totally go back, but holy crap that is a WORKOUT. I got home and showered then immediately headed to Westport for some Jerusalem Cafe deliciousness, followed by a brief stop at World Market before hitting Country Club Plaza for some Christmas shopping. It was all very rush rush because I had a lot of stuff to do and very little time in which to do it, and really fantastic coupons that expire Sunday (and no time except today) so what's a girl to do? :-D I also managed to snag myself a cute undershirt at the Gap that will keep me snuggly warm and fashionable at the same time this winter, all for only $9. Mmmm. Got back, picked Leigha up from school and dropped her off at her rehearsal, and finally came home at 4:30. *Whew!* I have no clue what's for dinner. Meh, we'll figure something out. And this evening, I'm going to the opera to see Julie and Elsbeth in La Boheme! I feel very cosmopolitan at this moment. I'm also very tired. :-D

1 comment:

Spark*Life said...

Good for you! I need to workout, but I can never seem to keep up with it. So good for you :) Ain't Westport fun? Next time I go I will let you know and we can hang together. Joy!