Saturday, October 2, 2010

CAKE.

Grandma and Grandpa have been married for 60 years! Woot! That's their original cake topper...and I couldn't get Grandpa to look up from the cake for any of my pictures. True story! Our family hosted a party for them at their church, first as an open house for the congregation, then as a private party for the family. It was fantastic! I got to be the cake server, which my dad was generous enough to break up a new pack of Elixir guitar strings for so I could swiftly and neatly cut the cake into well over 100 slices. We had a blast telling stories and eating catered food (no dishes, woo!) and ooh-ing and ah-ing over the baby quilt we all came together to create. Oh, and if you're looking for a sappy closing line such as 'all because two people fell in love' you're not going to get it...except in contextual exposition. First of all because I hate those wall signs (anyone else think 'always kiss me goodnight' sounds incredibly passive aggressive?) and second because it's all because two people chose to stick it out for 60 years for the betterment of their family, giving us all a chance to know what real love looks like and making us say, "Hey...I want that." I owe so much to both sides of my family for giving me such a beautiful example to look to, and know that because of them my own children will be able to say, "Hey....I want that."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great write up Jess! Hit the nail on the head, so to speak. CB