Sunday, March 28, 2010

JR in the Big D

The girls are at a horse show this weekend, so Jason and I decided to skip town. There was an improv festival happening in Dallas and I determined that if we flew out on the first flight we could see the town, catch one of the workshops, then hit the shows in the evening. Jason was on board with the plan, so away we flew! We went all over Dallas, explored a few interesting places in the downtown area, hit the flagship Nieman Marcus store, went to the Grassy Knoll, and took lots and lots of pictures. This afternoon we went to a workshop. Yes, we! Jason decided it might be fun to get in on one and understand the craft better. I explained to him that this festival didn't have any beginner level classes so he'd be with me, and he was still on board, so we signed up together. He got in line with us initially but sat down after a bit. Improv can be incredibly intimidating, believe it or not. However, he did observe and even asked questions of the instructor. Questions that made the improvisers go, "Oh.........ooh, yeah, I want to know the answer to that too!" Awesome. Oh, and when I walked into the workshop, Buck and Clint were there! Their other group from OKC had performed the night before and they had all hung around for the final day of the festival! Yay! We had lunch with them and their troupe, which was handy since I met them all last July at their festival and we all know and like one another! They all had festival badges and I mentioned that I was sad that I didn't have one as I was not performing, and Buck was incredibly kind and made one for me! Aww! This evening were the shows. Astounding. Especially Scram! which is the incredible Jill Bernard and Joe Bill. We constantly had to remind ourselves, 'This is NOT SCRIPTED!' Wow. Just wow!

No comments: