Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Our home and native land

This is a picture of Leigha, Libby, and Brianna literally standing with one foot in Canada and one foot in America. Check it: The towers behind them mark the border, as does the white line of rocks, and the bricks on the pavement they were on had a marked border as well. How are we allowed to flaunt our blatent disreguard for borders and customs and the like? I'm glad I asked (I know you didn't, nurr, I just asked for you!) This is the 'International Peace Garden.' It sits on the border of North Dakota and Manitoba. In case you're wondering, the left side of the picture is America, the right is Canada. We drove up this afternoon, and just as you pass the American border patrol stand and right before you hit the Canadian one, there was a small turnoff that led into the garden. You do have to take a passport for you and a birth certificate for your kid into the garden so you can pass back into your country of origin (or on to the other if you so desire) but once in the garden's borders you can freely walk between the two countries. Very cool! We went into the souvenir shop and I got some Canadian 'Reese' peanut butter cups. Why are these so special? Well, I'm glad I asked (ooh, gotcha again!) I came across these on a trip to Toronto when I was in high school. First of all, it's 'Reese' not 'Reeses' pb cups. Second, it's Canada so it's in French and English. Third (and I chose this one to be number three on purpose) there are THREE cups in each package. Not two, and no king sized four, but three. Rather an orangish anomaly one might say. (ba hahahahaha!!!) We got back to the house and had some dinner then put the kids to bed. Sam and I decided to spend our last evening together watching 'Confessions of a Shopaholic.' We read the books together when we lived in Denver. Not a good book adaptation, but still a really cute movie.

No comments: