Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas and suchness

On Friday night Jason and I managed to nab seats on a flight to Sacramento. (I saw another KC improviser at the airport on the way out but don't know him well and he seemed like he wanted to keep a low profile so I didn't say hi or anything. Weird coincidence.) My dad picked us up and drove us to their place in NV. I couldn't believe we got seats so close to Christmas! Sweet! Anyhow, we spent four days out there and it was awesome. We went to the movies and saw Enchanted, which I highly recommend. It was sooooo funny and ubercute. Totally appropriate for kids, too. The actress who played Giselle was just fantastic. We saw all my family Christmas Eve, opened presents, went to church, went to Trader Joe's (I WANT ONE HERE!!!) and there was much merriment. The girls practically chewed Lynette's arms off with talking and play, I swear. It was so great to see everyone. On the way home we had everything in our carry-ons except Jason's "Guitar Hero" game that he got. We took the label off the box and carried it separate from everything else. When we went through security we put the box down and sent it through the scanner and the security guy saw it and said, "Whoa, Guitar Hero!" It was funny. We came home quite late Christmas Day and opened our own presents here, then put the girls to bed. I had been feeling sick so I just vegged today and let the girls play with their new toys. Tonight I had Roving Imp rehearsal and it was so strange because it felt like I had been away for a very very long time. We did a lot of character and fundamental work and it was a REALLY awesome rehearsal. I literally left with the warm fuzzies. Mmm. There were a couple scenes in which I really felt I was reaching almost beyond my ability, however. One in particular. I was playing a very manipulative Southern belle character and the scene kept going and I hit a point where I was literally like, "RED ALERT, holy crap, I've overextended myself!!! Ahhh!" But apparently I was able to carry it through to the end and I got a lot of kudos for it. Whew. Actually, I heard a lot of complementary comments tonight...John told me some people were talking to him at the WCH gig we did a couple weeks ago and they saw our first performance and a few since then, and they said both Julie and I have really grown a lot. I know I was blushing like mad. I can't believe I generated even a little buzz from the improv scene here, I still feel intimidated at our monthly get together! (I'm pretty sure I'm blushing just writing this) Anyhow, I'm really excited about what 2008 is going to hold for my improv career. As of March I'll have been doing this for one year. Yay!

No comments: