Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Unmerry unmerry real birthday to me

Today was my 29th birthday. I came to school to find that Austin had procured a balloon shaped like a potato for me. I decided it would be a good idea to have everyone in the theater department sign it for me. We had a blast trying to see who could outdo each other with well-wishes and elaborate pictoral additions to his grinning face. At one point he even walked hand in hand down the hallway with Macey and Carley. I had a great time....until I got a call from my mom. "Are you sitting? You should be sitting." My dad has been complaining of bad headaches recently. Today he went to work and wasn't doing so well so his boss asked if he wanted to go to the emergency room, and my dad said that yes, he would. They went to the hospital (calling my mom on the way) and got an MRI done. Turns out he has a large brain tumor. Yeah. I got the call at 4:30, called Jason, then sat down on the floor of the hallway for a bit. The next time I looked up it was 6 and I hadn't even noticed. I'm in shock and honestly don't know what to do right now. You win again, sucky birthdays.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have seen how very special your relationship is with your Dad. I also understand how devastating scary news is when it comes to our Dads. My heart is with you. If you want to go eat some sushi and just sit and ponder it all, I'm game. I'm so sorry and pray, regardless of the size of the tumor, it will be operable and he'll be back singing and being his amazing self in no time.

sugarbumkin said...

That would be lovely. :-) Happy belated birthday, btw. I've been a bit absorbed with things. Go figure, eh?